Līgo parish

Parish: Līgo parish
Population: 421
Area: 79km2

General information: Līgo parish was established after World War II, separating this territory from Jaungulbene parish. In 1990, Līgo parish was established within the boundaries of Līgo village. Most of Līgo parish is located in the Adzele upland of the lowland of Eastern Latvia, the surface of which is formed by flat waves, sometimes flat plains. The center of Līgo parish is located on the outskirts of the Gulbene embankment, where it gradually crosses the Meirāni plain. The territory is irrigated by Liede tributaries Ušurupi, Niedrīte and Mandauga ditch. When the Asarupe was dammed, reservoirs were artificially created in its valley, which visually enlivened the surrounding landscape. Līgo parish is distinctly agricultural, although a large part of it is occupied by forests and part of the high Great (Ušuru, Lielais Mārku bog) bog, where the great bustard and the great bustard nest.

Entrepreneurship: In the territory of Līgo parish, the business is carried out by JSC “Wert” and SIA “ARNIS”, whose main activity is wood processing. SIA "Silgulda" is engaged in peat extraction in Ušuru bog, SIA "Sindra" - trade. There is also a post office. 23 farms are engaged in agriculture. The largest farms, whose main activity is dairy farming, are: z / s “Kalniņi”, z / s “Druvas”, z / s “Vanagi” - organic farm, z / s “Jaunlīčupi” - organic farm. The largest grain growing farms are: z / s "Torņakalns", z / s "Kalniņi", z / s "Maldupi". Z / s "Lankas" - is engaged in dairy farming and beekeeping, z / s "Maldupi" - provides grain drying and milling services, as well as provides road maintenance services during the winter. Farms engaged in dairy farming: p / s "Stigas", z / s "Zemzari", z / s "Purvidi", SIA "Kurzemnieki V", z / s "Kāpostiņi". Non-traditional farms: biological farm "Siliņi" - goat breeding.

Education: The name of the second largest settlement in the parish - Siltais is also nice. Here is one of the oldest schools in the district - Siltāji Primary School. It was founded in 1875. In 1886, it was renamed the Jaungulbene two-year ministry school, which was the first ministry school in Vidzeme. In 1935 there was a 6-grade primary school, later a seven-year school, and an eight-year school. It also operated during the Soviet era. The poet Vilis Plūdonis worked as a teacher at the school during the school year 1916/17 and lived with his brother. The school closed in June 2011.

Culture: There is a culture house in Līgo parish (opened in 1955, the current building was built in 1976, manager Kristīne Bekmane). The dance group "Līgo" (leader Aivija Krūmiņa), theater group (leader Kristīne Bekmane), ladies dance group "Madaras" (leader Mārīte Ločmele) operate in the House of Culture. As a tradition in the parish there is a common swaying during the Midsummer celebrations, commemoration of the Līga, Jāņi and Pēteris living in the parish. We traditionally start the year with a New Year's carnival. Līgo Parish Library (founded in 1950) has become an educational, cultural and information center for the whole parish, paying great attention to the promotion of education, local history work, reference and information work (manager Anitra Markoviča).

Health: Residents of the parish receive medical assistance at the paramedic and midwifery center (manager Vivita Zvirgzdiņa).

Religion: Lutheran residents of the parish attend the Gulbene Evangelical Lutheran Church and are members of its congregation.

Cultural and natural monuments: The building of Siltāji primary school, built in 1875, is of cultural and historical significance in the territory of Līgo parish. The oldest surviving farmstead is the Upvidi residential building, which dates back to 1885. Among the buildings of historical significance are the half-manors belonging to the family of Baron von Tranze of Jaungulbene manor (late 19th century and beginning of the 20th century): Stukmaņi half-manor, Bērziņi half-manor, Jaunāmuiža, Līgo manor, Madernieki half-manor, Ārabirži half-manor. On the very edge of the parish, on the border with Lubāna parish, there is a stone that testifies to the assassination of the then Prime Minister Kārlis Ulmanis in 1920. The archeological monument of national significance is located in Līņsaliņi on Lake Ušuri. In 1964-65, archaeologist J.Apals proved that there was a so-called range or lake shelter here - a substantiated testimony that people have been living in the present Līgo parish for thousands of years. Latvian legends about "sunken castles" are associated with such dwellings. There are also micro-reserves in the territory of the parish - “Laksha deposit”, “Platlapja forest habitat”, “Biologically significant beaver”, as well as big trees: 3 oaks and 1 willow.

Notable personalities: Līgo parish is the birthplace of many famous people in Latvia. Born here: A.Vārdaunis (1879-1920) - education worker, Z.Lancmanis (1883-1935) - geographer, regional researcher, R.Apinis (1892-1938) - journalist, writer, political worker, H.Zveja (1897- 1919) - Commander of Inza Division, K.Miķelsone (1905-1955) - writer, E.Vārdaunis (1910-1999) - set designer, G.Salazemniece (1940) - scientist in experimental and clinical medicine, E.Pakulis (1917-1986) - Kabile national partisan group leader, A.Liedskalniņa (1930-2000) - actress. B.Žuravska (1930-2009) - poet, painter, G.Eglīte (1925) - teacher, leader of dance groups, I.Jurgene - doctor of sciences in pedagogy.

The latest news about Līgo parish on the Internet: www.gulbene.lv