Kalniena castle

Architectural monument of national significance.

The so-called Kalnamuiža castle was built in the 18th century. as a typical manor house with spacious living quarters on three floors, including the basement of the half-basement and the attic roof.

The castle belonged to a German baron, rebuilt several times over time, mostly only inside. The façade of the castle has remained unchanged, except for the enlarged windows and the staircase in the garden façade.
The castle is based on a rectangular building with a sloping attic roof and windows. Roof tile, which was later replaced with slate. The building rests on boulder foundations, the walls are made of bricks, the thickness of the outer walls reaches 90 cm. The longest facade of the building is decorated with three risalits. The central two-storey risalite, three windows wide, is closed more and is closed with a triangular pediment decorated with floral threads. Rizalite is decorated with decorative pilasters with Corinthian capitals and cornice profiles. At the edges of the façade, one-storey risalits with two windows are less protruding, also closed with triangular pediments. The front of the courtyard had a balcony with an entrance to the 2nd floor. The basement consists of vaulted half-cellars used for farm premises and storage of roots.

The castle is located in the middle of a large park, on the northeast side there is a pond.

During the revolutionary events of 1905, the castle was burned down, then rebuilt around 1907. In 1917 a Labor School was established here, but still in 1919 the baron's relatives lived here. Around 1938, the building was rebuilt for the needs of the school. Many values have disappeared during this time.

Today, the castle houses Kalniena Primary School.

The list of information source can be found here .