On July 3, to architect Verner Vitand - 115! Publicēts: 3.07.2018
Born in Lizuma parish, his father was a miller in Silto mill. In 1932 he graduated from the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Latvia. In the early 1930s, he designed modern single-family homes in the spirit of functionalism, thus adapting to the new wave of modern European architecture of that time.
The Madona Guard House (1933), the Daugavpils Unity House (1936-1937), as well as monuments to the soldiers who fell in the Latvian Freedom Fights in Smiltene (1937, sculptor M. Pluka) were built according to V. Vitand's projects. Indra (1939), Riga, Slokas Street 58 (former Car Tank Regiment barracks, 1939, sculptor R. Feldbergs). On the Madona side, he has also designed rural residential buildings, which are noticeably different from traditional buildings, as well as the J. Akuratera Museum in Riga, O. Vācieša Street 6A.
Following the principles of 20th century modernism, the architect has designed his houses in monumental, cubistly clear forms, abandoning the existing traditional architectural orders.
At that time, Daugavpils Vienibas nams was the largest and most versatile building in Latvia. In it, the architect synthesizes the best features of functionalist and neoclassical architecture: the rational organization of the plan and the monumental appearance. The premises in this building were occupied by the city theater, Daugavpils Latvian Society, Army economy shop, restaurant and cafe, newspaper editorial office and printing house, hotel and several apartments. Today it houses the Latgale Central Library, Daugavpils Theater, Latvian Culture Center, Shmakovka Museum, bookstore, etc. The Unity House in Daugavpils still carries out its historical mission - unites the city's multinational society and activates cultural life.
In 1943, V. Vitand moved to Czechoslovakia and later to Germany. After moving to the United States in 1949, he worked in Kalamazoo. He has been active in the public life of emigration Latvians.